
McKinney City Hall was once again packed Tuesday night, but this time the overwhelming majority of speakers who addressed the council voiced opposition to the growing recall effort targeting Mayor Bill Cox and three council members.
As previously reported by The Dallas Express, five McKinney voters launched the recall campaign citing “a loss of public confidence” in the ability of Cox and council members Ernest Lynch, Geré Feltus, and Justin Beller to represent residents.
The five voters filed the affidavit one week after the McKinney City Council unanimously approved the McKinney Islamic Association’s site plan for a mosque and Islamic center following hours of contentious public debate.
Recall organizers have maintained that their campaign extends beyond the mosque vote, citing broader concerns about transparency, spending, infrastructure, growth, and the responsiveness of city government.
Tuesday’s meeting, however, demonstrated that significant opposition to the recall has also mobilized.
Residents Rally Against Recall
Many of the speakers defended the council and pushed back against concerns involving Islam and Sharia law that have surrounded the broader political debate in McKinney.
McKinney resident Mo Azfal Choudhary rejected the suggestion that local Muslims want Islamic religious law to supersede American law.
“I don’t know a single Muslim who’s asking to replace the Constitution with Sharia Law,” Choudhary said.
“Muslim Americans have fought and died for this country,” he added.
Former McKinney Mayor George Fuller also addressed the council and criticized recall organizer Ashley Louden, calling her a “reckless loud voice.”
Fuller has become one of the most vocal opponents of the recall effort, with his social media commentary generating accusations from organizers that opponents are attempting to pressure potential petition signers.
Fuller Responds to Intimidation Allegations
As previously reported by DX, recall organizer John Aselton has alleged that individuals have attempted to disrupt petition activities and interfere with prospective signers. Organizers have also criticized a previous Facebook post in which Fuller emphasized that petition signers’ names and addresses could become public and warned signers to “own it” and be prepared for the “consequences.”
“Residents have every right to support, oppose, sign, or decline to sign a recall petition, free from intimidation or improper pressure,” Fuller told The Dallas Express.
Fuller said his comments about publicly standing behind a signature referred to political accountability and transparency rather than an attempt to discourage participation.
He also denied organizing or encouraging interference at petition locations.
“I have not directed, authorized, or encouraged anyone to disrupt petition sites, interfere with petition circulation, confront signers, or pressure residents not to sign,” Fuller said. “I am not aware of any such effort undertaken.”
Instead, Fuller said his concern centers on whether residents are receiving accurate information from people involved in gathering signatures. He pointed to recordings circulating online that he claims capture people making false statements about council members.
Fuller maintained that challenging allegedly inaccurate political claims is fundamentally different from interfering with someone’s ability to participate in the recall process.
Dispute Over Video Continues
One such recording has become a point of contention between Fuller and recall organizers.
Fuller previously shared a video accusing someone at a recall petition location of making false claims about council members. Recall organizer Ashley Marie disputed the video’s portrayal of her, saying Fuller paired her photograph with audio from a different woman.
“The former mayor later posted a video that paired my photo with that other person’s audio, deliberately making it appear as if those were my words,” Marie previously told The Dallas Express. “That is false. I never said those things.”
Marie said the woman heard speaking was a resident who came to sign the petition and was not a recall volunteer.
With opponents now turning out in force at City Hall and recall organizers continuing to collect signatures, the political battle over McKinney’s leadership shows little sign of cooling down.
Provided by Dallas Express









